Backlinks are the links that lead to your website from other internet sources. They help to promote a website, as search engines estimate the number of backlinks that lead to the website as one of the most valuable factors that help to determine the importance, popularity and search engine ranking of the website.
There is a lot of ways to buy backlinks, but if you are on a budget, you can get them for free. We gathered 12 different ways to get backlinks to your website for no cost.
1. Social networks
Using social networks is one of the easiest and most accessible ways to get backlinks and increase the visibility of your company (brand) in search results. Some social networks allow you to get dofollow-links, others do not.
Despite the fact that the value of the first is significantly higher, you should not underestimate the second type of links: the natural link profile should include not only dofollow, but also nofollow-links.
- LinkedIn. The blogging platform LinkedIn allows users to easily place nofollow links in their articles. It can be useful for organic diversity of your link profile. But do not despair: LinkedIn has something else to offer. Competently written posts are perfectly ranked in the organic search, so you have every chance to promote yourself or your product.
- Pinterest and Tumblr. These popular visual content sharing platforms allow you to publish materials with dofollow-links. And, in addition, you can successfully advance in organic search with the help of pictures.
- Youtube. If your content strategy still does not include the promotion on Youtube, it is high time to think about it. At least for the sake of cherished dofollow-links and increase of brand visibility in Google search results.
- Facebook and Twitter. Even if you do not like the thought of the endless (one might even say ungrateful) work on nofollow-links in social networks, we still advise you not to ignore these popular global social networks. They can become not only sources of nofollow-links, but also attract targeted traffic to the website, as well as increase the company visibility in organic search results.
2. Blog platforms
Independent blogging platforms and blog services from leading search engines can also be a source of backlinks and additional traffic. When placing your texts there, do not forget that the publication of the same content on all platforms clearly does not play into your hands. In addition, each of the websites has its own unique features that should be considered when creating content.
- Blogger (ex-Blogspot). Blog service from Google, providing the ability to post dofollow-links.
- Medium. Large independent service, popular in professional circles.
3. Question and answer services
The main benefit of question and answer services in promoting your website or brand is not so much the generation of backlinks, but the increase in awareness. As a rule, question and answer services automatically assign the attribute rel = “nofollow” to all links, but this does not mean that your website does not need such links.
You should pay attention to several basic Q&A services that can be useful for promoting your projects:
- Quora. It is a large international question and answer service that contains information of a professional nature. Quora is useful for those who are advancing in foreign markets.
- Yahoo Answers. It is a popular western service from Yahoo search engine. This service is useful for those who work in Western markets.
Manual blog commenting using links is one of the simplest and most common link building methods. All you need is finding relevant forums with topics that best fit your niche.
It is better to check first:
- Whether the forum has traffic;
- Is there regular activity or not;
- Who uses the forum: real people or linkbuilders.
Before writing comments, pay attention to the rules of each of the forums: some of them suggest that the user must earn a certain reputation for posting links, or they exclude this possibility altogether. Violation of the rules may result in a life or temporary ban.
5. Websites with lists of companies/products
If ratings and lists (of products/companies/tools) are relevant in your industry, you can analyze existing options and try to add your product with the link to your website to them.
To find all the most popular niche lists, you can use one of the Serpstat tools – Keyword Research → SERP Analysis → Top by Keyword.
The way you add your website to the list will depend on the format of the list itself. If it has the form of an article, you will need to contact the author directly. If it is generated automatically, follow all the necessary procedures for registering your website (product) to get in general rating.
6. Guest posts or posts in thematic mass-media blogs.
The “Blog” section in the niche media can be considered the next link in the evolution of “author columns” and the column “letters from readers” in classic print media. But the difference is that now posting is much easier than before. Now for publishing your text, it is enough to log in, download the material, take care of the formatting and availability of the necessary links, and click on the “Publish” button.
Such a scheme works well in some media, where user-generated content passes basic moderation, but does not require long approvals and large-scale editing. On the one hand, this is an ideal way to leave an organic link on a trusted website, and on the other, to get excellent traffic directly from the website news feed and search results (provided that your content will be interesting for readers and cause a resonance).
In a word, whatever one can say, publishing in blogs of popular niche media is a profitable venture. You will require only time and little effort to write unique and valuable content that the moderators of the chosen website must approve for publication.
7. Broken Link Building
In that case, when generating content for external websites or placing it turns out to be problematic (the ideas for publishing ran out, or the website owner is asking for a too high price), you can use another link building technique. It involves searching for broken links to the websites you are interested in and then replacing them with the correct working links to your website, of course.
8. Posting reviews on the websites of the services you use
Many different companies that provide goods or services for business willingly post feedback from their users. They indicate, along with the name, the company or website, that is especially important for us.
Take advantage of it and ask your colleagues to leave reviews on the websites of all services that you use in your work.
9. Participation in conferences and professional events
Participation in professional events can not only benefit you from the point of view of traditional public relations but also open up additional opportunities for link building. Send your employee as a speaker, become a partner or sponsor, and you are guaranteed to receive your cherished backlinks on the event website. Do not forget to explain your requirements for links at the start of cooperation with the organizers of the event.
10. Collaboration with bloggers
In an ideal world, partner’s (advertising) materials in blogs include an active dofollow link (or not one), and therefore they are of interest to both content marketers and SEO specialists.
Can this method be classified as free? If your company has enough authority in different social networks or a large email subscriber base, a PR blogger on your part can be a good argument for cooperation. Otherwise, you can always offer a barter payment format, if a blogger needs your product.
This method of creating backlinks can be the most resource intensive. In this case, we speak about your time and nerve cells. Creating a page on Wikipedia will require perseverance from you: you will face a whole series of edits before administrators will approve your publication. However, when you publish the page, you will receive your cherished trust backlink.
12. .edu websites (partnership with educational institutions)
Government and educational institutions domains, as a rule, have high trust rates and therefore are especially attractive for link building. To get links from government websites is somewhat problematic, while with educational websites, it is quite realistic to come to an agreement.
There are only three scenarios for placing backlinks on educational websites: in the comments, in the place of broken links and directly in the text.
The first technique relates to ordinary spam and will not bring you any good: Google is negatively predisposed to websites with hundreds of link comments, regardless of their domain zone. We have already talked about the second one in paragraph 7, and it, in fact, works for most websites, regardless of the subject matter.
Using the third technique, you will need to make much more effort than during the previous two, but it also promises to bring more benefits. To get an organic mention and a link to your website inside the main content of the website, you should find relevant local educational institutions and offer them some mutually beneficial cooperation — exchange of information, etc.
To wrap up
Forming a link profile is one of the most resource-intensive processes within search engine optimization. However, you can avoid significant costs by using free backlink sources.